In a word, yes. And no. Confused? Let’s clarify!
What Is Negative SEO?
Negative SEO is something you can engage in or it’s something competitors can do to you. It’s basically black hat tactics or “dirty” ones. Large companies like Amazon can generally get away with a little “dirt” but smaller companies have to watch out for it.
Black hat tactics include but are not limited to:
- Hidden Text or Links: Used by websites as a spamdexing technique to fill a page with keywords that a search engine will recognize but are not visible to a visitor. (via Wikipedia)
- Keyword Stuffing: Keyword stuffing occurs when a web page is loaded with keywords in the meta tags or in content of a web page. (via Wikipedia)
“Dirty” SEO includes but is not limited to:
- Thin content or duplicate content
- Manipulative on-site SEO (excessive footer links or keyword stuffing – see above)
- Spammy link profile – more info on that here
Moz.com has a great video explaining negative SEO here:
Okay, now that we’re clear on what Negative SEO is and are all on the same page that this is something we NEVER WANT TO DO OR HAVE DONE TO US… How can you protect your Staffing or Recruiting Company from Negative SEO? Take a good look at your link profile and make sure the links are squeaky clean. Here are some tools:
After that you just need to make sure your staffing company’s site is adhering to standard SEO guidelines. Here are a few examples:
- A website with useful content that helps people.
- Great website design. A well designed site looks trustworthy to humans and to Google.
- A clean link profile (which you know you have because you just checked it!) so Google knows you’re not doing anything sneaky.
So back to the original question. Should your staffing company be worried about negative SEO?
- Yes – in that is is a real thing people do and there are severe penalties for it and
- No – not if you protect your site and stick to the Google SEO guidelines.
And if all this Negative SEO stuff sounds like too much work for your staffing company – remember that Staffing Robot is happy to do it for you! Contact us today!