Drip email campaigns are an effective way to stay in touch with your clients and prospects. Instead of creating individual emails on the fly, drip campaigns allow you to send strategically targeted emails to segmented groups of people based on certain conditions and actions. The best part? Once you have it set up and your content created, the campaigns execute automatically! Because it's highly flexible and automated, it's perhaps the most effective and scaleable email marketing strategy there is.
This post is the fifth in a series titled: 10 Ways to Improve Your Healthcare Staffing Email Marketing Campaigns. The series focuses on tips and strategies for running successful email and e-newsletter campaigns using ePromoter by Staffing Robot.
First, many of you may not know what a drip campaign is. So, just so we're all in tune here…
Drip campaigns take their name from drip irrigation, which is a means of allowing water and fertilizer to be more evenly distributed to crops. It's a much more cost effective, targeted and resourceful method for irrigation.
Drip marketing campaigns typically refer to an email marketing delivery strategy. Such a campaign involves a series of messages that are sent ("dripped”) in a predefined order at scheduled intervals. Each message is unique but the messages as a whole represent a larger campaign goal or set of goals. A drip campaign begins when a contact is added to a specific list or takes a specific action.
Goals of Drip Campaigns
The most successful drip campaigns have specific goals, for example:
- Lead nurturing
- Educating new prospects
- Sign ups or form completions
- Managing invitations and follow-up for events and webinars
- Friend and network participation
- Converting product trials into paid customers
- Encouraging engagement within a community
Benefits of Drip Campaigns
If you make good use of drip campaigns, your staffing company will benefit by:
- Making prospects, customers
- Reducing the time required by sales people to educate customers
- Decrease time required for account management
- Minimizing sales funnel leaks
- Speed up time to close
- Motivating prospects to evaluate your product or service
- Increase in applicants
How to create a a Drip Campaign for your healthcare staffing company:
1. Develop a plan. The first thing you want to do is strategize and come up with a well thought out plan. Remember, this isn't about a single blast, it's about an overall campaign effort. Determine the key messages you want recipients to take action on and decide how often you want your messages to reach them.
Be sure to focus most of your planning on the first email in the campaign. This is when recipients will be most critical at deciding if they want to continue receiving emails from you. Greet the newcomers by setting their expectations appropriately. Explain why they are receiving your messages, how often they are going to be sent out, why and from whom. These details will help you build a relationship that goes a long way.
2. Segment your lists. Decide who in your list gets what messages, how often and when. Ensure your content for each email is timely and relevant to the segment. Target your groups based on location, job preference, specialty type, service need, etc.
3. Decide on the appropriate format. Should your message be delivered via plain text, newsletter format or a simple HTML design. Don’t limit yourself to one – try different methods and test them all. Make sure the format supports the content. Not the other way around.
4. Design strategically. The copy is the important part. Your design and image use should support the copy. Interactive content can be very useful, just be sure it doesn't overwhelm the copy and ultimately, your business goals.
5. Know what you want to track and how you will track it. Be sure to set up tracking before you start the campaign. Decide on what you want to track and how often, and be sure your tools can support it. Remember, you want to wait at least 1 (if not 2) weeks after you send a campaign to track the results.
How to create a a Drip Campaign in ePromoter:
The simplest type of drip campaign is linear. This means multiple emails are sent with a defined wait period in between. For example, you could send a weekly email over the course of 4 weeks. The campaign can simply continue this way or become more advanced as rules are added. For example: If a candidate applies for a position with your company after the first email (achieving its goal) they could then be set on a different drip campaign path instead of following the path they were on originally.
New conditions allow you to segment your prospects and better target your messages to them by making them more relevant.
1. Create the appropriate list segments in ePromoter. Simply click on 'New Segment" within the appropriate list and add as many rules and conditions necessary.
2. Create your drip campaign email just like you would any email campaign. ePromoter lets you select either "Reoccurring Email" or "Auto-Responder" for this type of campaign. You can create as many emails as necessary for your campaign.
Auto-Responder allows you to deliver the email at the appropriate interval delay you choose (1 week, 30 days, etc.). You can even indicate a specific time:
3. Track the results. Give the campaign at least 1 – 2 weeks after it's been sent before you track this data. The results will start showing immediately, however, it can sometimes take recipients 1 – 2 weeks to take action on or even open your email. When the right amount of time has passed, you want to monitor whether people reach the desired conversion event, such as whether they contacted you, completed an application, made a purchase, etc. This will give you an indication of how effective your campaign is and if you're process seems to be working.
You also want to measure the effectiveness of the individual steps in your drip campaign. How many people responded to email #3, compared to email #1? As your campaign progresses, you can further optimize it to increase response rates at each step in the campaign.
Drip campaigns require more of an upfront investment in time. They require careful thought, some planning and setup work. However, like anything, the time you put into it will pay off in the end with measurable business benefits. Much more so than random one off emails that have no strategy.
With the right email marketing tools and good reporting data, a drip campaign can be your healthcare staffing company's most effective email marketing strategy. Remember, a good drip campaign is something that is continuously optimized to provide the maximum business benefit for your organization.
Interested in learning more about ePromoter or getting started with a successful drip campaign for your healthcare staffing company? Contact Staffing Robot today and we'll get you going!