I’ve heard this quote at least three or four times in the last six months alone from some healthcare staffing agencies. Unfortunately, this misunderstanding is keeping them from reaching a new audience and growing their business.
For those that don’t know, Facebook now has over 500,000,000 users. If Facebook were a country it would take the 3rd place spot from the United States which has approximately 310,395,000 people. So what does that tell you? Everyone is on Facebook. Yes, even nurses. To be more exact, about 1 out of every 14 people in the world has a Facebook page.
Facebook isn’t just huge, it’s heavily trafficked. On any given day, Facebook now gets more visits than any other page on the internet, including Google.
It’s also exclusive. How is a platform with 500,000,000 users exclusive? Because it doesn’t share or play well with others. Facebook doesn’t allow the search engines like Google to search within it’s walls. That means, that unless you’re actually participating within Facebook, your standard web marketing efforts won’t reach these users. The web used to be about getting to any place quickly through Google. If you had 5 minutes to spare you went to Google, searched for what you wanted, found it and went about your day. Today, the web is a bunch of separate pipes, many of which only allow access through their specific channel. Now, your spare 5 minutes is spent updating your status, seeing what your friends are doing or posting an image.
So who are these users? Is it really all 14 year old girls? Contrary to popular opinion, no. The chart below shows that 14 – 17 years old is actually one of the smallest demographics. The largest being 18 – 24 years old, followed closely by 25 – 34 years old. And the fastest growing segment? 55 – 64 years old.
Here are some more interesting Facebook stats:
- 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- Average user has 130 friends
- Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
- Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
- More than one million websites have integrated with Facebook Platform
- More than 150 million people engage with Facebook on external websites every month
- There are more than 150 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices
- People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users
- Approach your audience is a more casual, fun way
- Target your message and ads to user demographics such as age, gender, location and activities
- Choose to pay every time your ad is shown or only when people click on your ad
- Set your ad budget and you won’t pay any more than that
- Track the performance of your ads, adjusting quickly the ones that are not working and further promoting those that are
In addition, there is an even greater opportunity for you when promoting your company on Facebook. Earning personal recommendations. Having a satisfied customer promote your brand on their own is worth more than any ad budget you can set.
Below is an actual post (status update) from one of my connections on Facebook. Take a look:
This whole post is so interesting to me. In this post she…
- Mentions 2 brands
- Highly recommends the main brand she is talking about
- Alerts people to discounts offered and pricing of the brand
- Communicates all of this to 100's of her friends/family
- Does all of this from her mobile phone
What I’m not showing you is the discussion this encouraged for several days after. Several of her friends posted back with questions, comments and further brand support. She chimed back in answering these questions and continuing to support the brand she mentioned.
This is truly amazing. This satisfied customer effectively ran an ad for this business, dissed their competition, promoted a discount and answered questions from prospective future customers of this brand. She was paid nothing for this. The value to the brand is almost immeasurable.
So what’s the lesson here? If you’re healthcare staffing agency is marketing on the internet but not on Facebook, you’re missing out. Facebook is no longer a site where only kids sit wasting time and gossiping with their friends. Everyone is doing it. It’s a platform representing the digital personality of all of it’s participants. It’s a location where prospective customers willingly tell you what they like, what they don’t and all they represent. And they do this all for free.
It’s the internet and it’s here to help grow your business. If you're looking to develop a Facebook marketing strategy Staffing Robot can help.